The American Board For Certification In Orthotics and Prosthetics, Inc.
The Officers and the Board of Directors of the American Board for Certification, whose pictures appear on the cover of this issue of the Orthopedic and Prosthetic Appliance Journal, are charged with implementing the voluntary Certification program which is at present the only reliable index to proficiency and ethics in this field. The Board is composed, in accordance with the Corporation's By-Laws, of three orthopaedic surgeons and four orthotists and/or prosthetists. Brief biographical sketches of these officers and directors follow.
President: Durward R. Coon, C.P.O., Detroit, Michigan.
Mr. Coon was elected President on September 1, 1965, after serving since 1963 as a Director of the Board. From 1961 to 1963 he served on the Board's Committee on Facilities, and was Chairman from 1963 to 1964. During 1964-65 he was Chairman of the Committee on Credentials and Secretary-Treasurer of the Board. Mr. Coon entered the field of orthotics and prosthetics in 1943 and since 1944 has operated the D. R. Coon Company, a Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Facility in Detroit. He received his Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics in January, 1949.
Vice-President: Claude N. Lambert, M.D., Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Lambert was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, and graduated from Bush Medical College in 1928. After serving his residency in surgery and orthopaedic surgery at Illinois Research and Education Hospital, he was appointed Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon at that institution and at Presbyterian-St. Luke's Hospital. At present, in addition to his private practice, Dr. Lambert is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Illinois Medical Center and on the staff of the Prosthetic-Orthotic Education Program at Northwestern University.
Secretary-Treasurer: Bert R. Titus, C.P.O., Durham, North Carolina.
Mr. Titus was nominated by the Certified Prosthetists and Orthotists as their representative to the Board of Directors of the American Board for Certification for the 1964-1967 term. He was elected Secretary-Treasurer in 1965. Mr. Titus entered the field of orthotics in 1944, while in the Army, and since 1946 has been associated with the Department of Prosthetics and Orthotics of Duke University. He received his Orthotics Certification in 1950, and his Prosthetics Certification in 1955. He is a member of the Committee on Prosthetic Research & Development, National Academy of Sciences, and was a member of the Board's Committee on Examinations 1958-1963.
Director: William E. Brownfteld, C.P.O., Boise, Idaho.
Mr. Brownfield, nominated to the Board by the Directors of the American Orthotics and Prosthetics Association, was elected to a three-year term in November 1964. Mr. Brownfield, after some years in the surgical supply business, became interested in the prosthetic and orthotic field. Since 1940 he has operated Brownfield's. Inc., a Certified Prosthetic and Orthotic Facility in Boise. In addition, he serves as Orthotic and Prosthetic Consultant to the State of Idaho, Crippled Children's Service. He was Certified in Prosthetics and Orthotics in 1952, and served on the Committee on Examinations, 1958-1959; the Committee on Credentials. 1960-1961: and the Committee on Facilities, 1961-1964.
Director: Edward T. Haslam, M.D., New Orleans, Louisiana.
Dr. Haslam, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Tulane University, was nominated to serve as a Director by the Executive Committee of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He was elected for the 1964-1967 term. A graduate in 1939 of Harvard University Medical School, Dr. Haslam became a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1952. In addition to his duties at Tulane, Dr. Haslam is consultant to the Veterans Administration, where he has developed a great interest in the field of prosthetics.
Director: Robert G. Thompson, M.D., Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Thompson, Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Northwestern University Medical School, was elected in 1965 to a three-year term on the nomination of the Executive Committee of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. In addition to his teaching program at the Orthotics-Prosthetics Education Program at Northwestern University and at Northwestern Medical School, Dr. Thompson continues his private practice in orthopaedics and is President of the Chicago Orthopaedic Society. He is also a Consultant in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Chicago VA Regional Office and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. He is currently a member of the Board's Committee on Credentials.
Director: John A. Metzger, C.O., Long Beach, California.
Mr. Metzger was nominated by the Board of Directors of the American Orthotics and Prosthetics Association, and was elected in 1965 to serve a three-year term as a Director of the American Board for Certification. The son of an orthopaedic surgeon, he developed an early interest in orthotics. He is Owner-Manager of the John A, Metzger Co., Inc., which was founded in 1929. A graduate of Gettysburg Academy, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Mr. Metzger has also participated in the University of California, Los Angeles local extension program in orthotics and prosthetics. He was Certified in Orthotics in 1952. At present he is Chairman of the Board's Committee on Credentials.